Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Prepare the rice. Leftover works great.
Cut peppers in half vertically through the stems and discard inner seeds and membranes. Keep the stems on as they look nice and help to hold in the filling.
Place ground chicken in a medium bowl and sprinkle with salt. Break egg over mixture. Add ¼ cup (60 mL) pasta sauce, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest/peel, finely minced jalapeno (optional), diced tomato, diced onions, crumbled feta, pine nuts, minced fresh oregano and mint. Mix by hand until well combined.
Add the last 1 ½ cup (375 mL) of tomato/pasta sauce to bottom of baking dish. Fill peppers with chicken and rice mixture. You can mound them fairly high. Place in baking dish over pasta sauce.
Bake for 45 minutes and until the stuffed peppers are thoroughly cooked and a thermometer registers internal temperature of 160°F (70°C). Serve peppers with the pan sauce.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown rice, cooked
- 2 yellow peppers, fresh
- 2 red peppers, fresh
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) ground chicken, lean
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 egg, fresh, medium
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pasta sauce, marinara, low sodium
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon peel/zest, fresh
- 1 jalapeno pepper, fresh, minced (optional)
- 1 tomato, fresh, medium, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) onion, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) pine nuts
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oregano, fresh, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mint, fresh, minced
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) pasta sauce, marinara, low sodium
You can use leftover cooked rice or other cooked grains like barley or millet in this recipe.
Substitute 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried oregano and mint for the fresh.
If you have leftover filling bake it in a small oven proof bowl and use it as a mini-meatloaf for sandwiches or wraps. Leftover peppers reheat and freeze well.