Cut chicken thighs into 1” (2.5 cm) size pieces. Add to small pot with apple cider, cinnamon stick and star anise. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through; about 15 minutes. Remove meat from poaching liquid to cool. Reserve ½ cup (125 mL) of the poaching liquid and discard or freeze for another use.
Make vinaigrette by blending the remaining ½ cup (125 mL) of the poaching liquid with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, minced garlic, Dijon mustard, salt, honey and Brebis cheese in a food processor or blender.
Wash arugula and drain well. Divide in four and plate.
To serve, top with apple poached chicken, sliced red onion, apple slices and dried cherries. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve extra dressing on the side.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup (250 mL) apple cider
- 1/2 cinnamon stick(s)
- 1/2 star anise
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) sea salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) honey
- 1.5 oz (30 g) Brebis cheese
- 1.5 oz (30 g) feta cheese
- 1.5 oz (30 g) cream cheese
- 8 cups (2 L) baby arugula
- 1 cup (250 mL) red onion(s), sliced (optional garnish)
- 2 Gala apples, large (optional garnish)
- 3 Gala apples, small (optional garnish)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried tart Montmorency cherries, (optional garnish)
This tasty salad features apple cider poached chicken, arugula greens and Brebis cheese. Arugula is a leafy green of the mustard family also known as rocket (roquette). Like other salad greens it is low in calories and high in vitamin A and vitamin C. Brebis is a creamy, soft unripened French cheese that is made with sheep's milk. It has a rich, tangy flavour and is creamier texture than traditional Greek cheese. Feta, or even cream cheese, can be substituted for the Brebis but you really should try it!