- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Puree the canned tomatoes in a blender or food processor.
- Combine the fresh chopped pineapple, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, minced ginger and garlic, chile peppers, cumin and paprika in saucepan. Stir in the pureed canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Sauce should be reduced and somewhat thick yielding about 1 ½ cups (375 mL) cooked sauce. Turn off heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Puree in blender or food processor.
- While the sauce is cooking, place chicken thighs in baking dish and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Drain fat and flip over. Pour sauce over thighs and bake 20 minutes or longer until cooked through and temperature reads 165°F (74°C). Baste after 10 minutes and again before serving.
- Serve chicken smothered in barbecue pineapple sauce. Any additional sauce can be served on the side.
This recipe uses half of a 28 fl oz can (798 mL) of canned tomatoes. You can easily double the sauce and freeze it for a fast dinner at another time. This entree looks nice served with a cooked brown rice and steamed green beans.